Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1884, a group of black citizens banded together to organize a church. They appealed to the Commissioners of Columbus, Georgia, and obtained a lot on Eighth Street. The first church was completed in 1886 and called Everett Chapel after Newton Everett, one of the original founders and trustees. In 1894, the church was renamed Holsey Chapel, after Bishop Lucius H. Holsey, who played a vital role in the organization of the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1915, Holsey Chapel was destroyed by a storm. A new building was completed in 1919, along with a parsonage. The current brick structure was built in 1946.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
In 1888, Reverend P. W. Powell became pastor of Everett Chapel. When Everett Chapel was renamed Holsey Chapel in 1894, Revered C. T. Shatten served the congregation. Reverend Loyd McAfee was pastor from 1904 until 1919. Other pastors have included the Reverends Samuel Dunbar, Lewis Pearcey, Talton Cunningham, Needham Means, John Cochran, Edward Roberts, Frank Rowe and John Parham. Holsey Chapel experienced its greatest growth under the leadership of Edward D. Bryson, who was followed by L. P. Napier. Under the leadership of Reverend Allen Page, III, Holsey Chapel remains strong because
Erected 2004 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.
Location. 32° 27.65′ N, 84° 58.95′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and 8th Avenue, on the right when traveling east on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 718 8th Street, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William H. Spencer High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Friendship Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ninth Street Branch YMCA (approx. 0.2 miles away); “Ma" Rainey Home (approx. ¼ mile away); First African Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); “Columbus Stockade Blues” (approx. ¼ mile away); The Spencer House (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. James AME Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 26, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.