Bergen in Genesee County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
His son, Dr. Levi Ward, was the first supervisor and assemblyman of Murray, a portion of which was named Bergen in 1813. Dr. Ward was responsible for mail delivery, road, canal, and railroad development, and the construction of churches, stores, and schools as the community grew.
Martin C. Ward grandson of Deacon Ward, developed the village of Wardville, which was renamed Bergen in 1877.
Erected by Tally Almquist - Historian.
Location. 43° 5.061′ N, 77° 55.901′ W. Marker is in Bergen, New York, in Genesee County. Marker is at the intersection of Buffalo Road (New York State Route 33) and Rochester Street, on the left when traveling north on Buffalo Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bergen NY 14416, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Bergen (approx. half a mile away); Village of Bergen (approx. half a mile away); Bergen Village (approx. 0.8 miles away); Early Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Founded 1843 (approx. Francis E. Willard (approx. 2.7 miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 2.7 miles away); Mill Site (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bergen.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.