Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Stewart Building
In 1905 the property was bought by Maco Stewart (1871-1938), who redesigned the interior to create a gallery effect with an arched skylight on the top floor. A foresighted, dynamic lawyer, Maco Stewart in 1908 founded Stewart Title Guaranty Company, now (1978) the largest title firm in Texas. Throughout expansion across the United States, it continuously had offices in this structure of its origin.
Stewart Title Company has restored the building, replacing the ornate cornice which had been missing since the famous 1900 Galveston storm.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11568.)
Location. 29° 18.409′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trueheart-Adriance Building (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); Juneteenth (within shouting distance of this marker); Mallory-Produce Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1871 Thomas Jefferson League Building (about 500 feet away); Leon & H. Blum Co. Building (about 600 feet away); Hendley's Row (about 700 feet away); Hutchings, Sealy & Co. Buildings (about 800 feet away); American National Insurance Company (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.