Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort Omaha Walking Tour
This small, tin-roofed building hardly suggests its central role in the mission of the officers and troops once stationed at Fort Omaha. Constructed in 1883-84, the ordnance magazine was the chief storage place for weapons and ammunition.
It was General Crook’s intention to maintain an army of “soldiers fit for combat – not for parade,” and his successors continued to regularly train their men to be accurate marksmen.
Nickel-plated Colt revolvers, Springfield, Remington and Winchester rifles, and Gatling and Hotchkiss guns (the last two early predecessors of rapid-fire machine guns) were weapons integral to the success of many U.S. Army engagements on the frontier.
Developing technology kept this magazine filled with up-to-date weaponry and ammunition. Rifles made room for cylinders of igniters for portable flame throwers and for grenade launchers.
When the Army Balloon School was located at Fort Omaha, the magazine was converted into a Signal Corps monitor radio station. When the Navy occupied the post from 1947 to 1974, the building was restored partially to its original function, the storage of small arms and ammunition.
Erected by Metropolitan Community College, Historical Society of Douglas County, and Nebraska Committee for
Location. 41° 18.333′ N, 95° 57.488′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is on the Alley between 2nd and 1st Roads, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is southeast of Building 26, on the Metropolitan Community College Campus. Marker is in this post office area: Omaha NE 68111, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Omaha Headquarters Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Omaha Fire Station (about 500 feet away); Fort Omaha (about 600 feet away); Fort Omaha Quartermaster Depot (about 700 feet away); Fort Omaha Post Exchange and Gymnasium (about 700 feet away); Fort Omaha Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Omaha Guardhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Fort Omaha (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Fort Omaha. (Submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Omaha. (Submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Metropolitan Community College. (Submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.