Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Reverends John & Charles Wesley / Wesley Memorial Garden

 
 
Reverends John & Charles Wesley Marker (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
1. Reverends John & Charles Wesley Marker (Side 1)
Inscription.
Side 1: Reverends John & Charles Wesley

“About 3:30 in the afternoon I first set foot on St. Simons Island and immediately my spirits revived.” Charles Wesley, March 9, 1736.

Ordained ministers of the Anglican Church, the Wesleys joined General James Oglethorpe, founder and first Governor of Georgia on his second trip to Georgia. John Wesley is remembered as the founder of Methodism. His brother Charles is remembered as a prolific poet and writer of over 6,000 hymns.

John Wesley was authorized by the Trustees of the Colony of Georgia to perform religious and ecclesiastical offices in the colony. Charles Wesley was to be secretary of Indian Affairs and to perform religious duties at Frederica.

Both had some bitter experiences and believed their ministry in Georgia was a failure. However, history has proved otherwise. Their work in Georgia is called the second rise of Methodism; the first being with the Holy Club in England.

The Wesley Memorial Garden is a place where people may experience the same revival of the spirit felt by Charles Wesley when he arrived on St. Simons Island and when John Wesley felt his heart strangely warmed during his Aldersgate experience in London on May 24, 1738.

Side 2: Wesley Memorial Garden

Dedicated
Wesley Memorial Garden Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
2. Wesley Memorial Garden Marker (Side 2)
to the Glory of God and in memory of the Reverends John and Charles Wesley


An unrealized dream of Alfred W. Jones Sr. of the Sea Island Company became a reality when this garden was established. In 1984, his son A. W. Jones Jr. proposed a generous gift of 20 acres of land to be divided equally between Christ Church Frederica (Episcopal) and the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church with the understanding that the two denominations come together to create a memorial honoring John and Charles Wesley, Anglican priests in Georgia and founders of Methodism.

Both denominations set aside one adjoining acre for the development of the Wesley Memorial Garden and established a foundation to build and maintain the garden in perpetuity. Henry D. Green, working with landscape architect, Candace Brewer, designed the Garden and managed its construction. The focal point of the azalea woods garden is the 18, 15 ton Celtic cross cut from granite in Elberton, Georgia.

Wesley United Methodist Church at Frederica was organized and erected their first unit on their remaining nine acres. The dedication of the Garden was held June 12, 1988, with the Reverend Thomas Fitzgerald, Rector of Christ Church Frederica, Bishop Frank Robertson, founding pastor of Wesley United Methodist Church at Frederica and Right Reverend Harry W. Shipps, Bishop of Episcopal
Reverends John & Charles Wesley Marker (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
3. Reverends John & Charles Wesley Marker (Side 1)
Diocese of Georgia presiding.

Trustees from Christ Church Frederica and Wesley United Methodist Church at Frederica manage the trust to ensure the garden in perpetuity.
 
Location. 31° 13.3′ N, 81° 23.204′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Frederica Road 0 miles south of Mimosa Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Simons Island (within shouting distance of this marker); The Georgia Navy (within shouting distance of this marker); William Bartram Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Wesley Oak (about 700 feet away); Christ Church Cemetery (about 800 feet away); Frederica - Military Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frederica - Old Burial Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Wesley Memorial Garden Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
4. Wesley Memorial Garden Marker (Side 2)
Reverends John & Charles Wesley Marker (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
5. Reverends John & Charles Wesley Marker (Side 1)
Looking south on Frederica Road toward Christ Church Frederica.
Wesley Memorial Garden Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
6. Wesley Memorial Garden Marker (Side 2)
Looking north on Frederica Road toward the entrance to Fort Frederica (just visible on left).
Reverends John & Charles Wesley Marker (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
7. Reverends John & Charles Wesley Marker (Side 1)
The marker and the gates to the Garden.
Reverends John & Charles Wesley Marker (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
8. Reverends John & Charles Wesley Marker (Side 1)
The entrance to the Garden, with the Celtic cross in the distance.
The Wesley Memorial Garden and the Celtic Cross image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
9. The Wesley Memorial Garden and the Celtic Cross
The Wesley Memorial Garden and the Celtic Cross image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 3, 2012
10. The Wesley Memorial Garden and the Celtic Cross
The inscription on the base of the cross reads:
To the Glory of God and in Memory of
The Reverend John Wesley
1703 – 1791
And
The Reverend Charles Wesley
1707 – 1788
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 445 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 20, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement