Cape Girardeau in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company
In December 1940, the U.S. Navy contracted with the company to construct 10 Gato class submarines. Subsequently, the Navy increased the order to 41 boats of which 28 were ultimately produced prior to the end of the war.
The typical Gato submarine was 312 feet long, with 27-foot beams and a 15-foot draft, and weighted 1825 tons surfaced. Its crew consisted of 65-74 officers and men.
After trial testing in Lake Michigan, the submarines sailed to Chicago, where they were towed to Lockport, Illinois, and then placed in floating dry docks to travel down the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers to New Orleans.
Crowds gathered along the rivers and at bridge crossings to cheer the boats and their crews. From New Orleans, the submarines passed through the Panama Canal before joining the Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor.
Erected by Southeast Missouri State University.
Location. 37° 17.757′ N, 89° 31.223′ W. Marker is in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, in Cape Girardeau County. Marker can be reached Touch for map. Marker is in a park on Southeast University Missouri - River Campus. Marker is in this post office area: Cape Girardeau MO 63701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St Vincent's Seminary and Southeast Missouri State University (here, next to this marker); Cape Girardeau River Crossings (a few steps from this marker); Cape Girardeau and the Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); River Commerce (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Champion Beech Tree (about 500 feet away); Cape La Croix Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); Don Louis Lorimier / El Camino Real (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old St. Vincent's Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cape Girardeau.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, World I •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 23, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.