Nuremberg, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
Schürstabhaus - Mittelaltlicher Geschlechtersitz
[Marker text in German:]
1328-1478 Schürstab Patrizierfamilie
1406 Prägende Baugestaltung
durch Erhart d ä Schürstab
1482 Carl Schwerzer baulich Prägung
und Einbau der Hauskapelle
1508-1518 Anton Tetzel Losunger
1645-1791 Fetzer Ratskonsulenten
1943 Zerstörung des Daches
1997 Wiederaufbau u. Restaurierung
[Marker text translated into English, more or less:]
Until 1328 owners as "Unholder Ministeriale"
1328-1478 owned by patrician family Schürstab
1406 [converted to] distinctive design by Erhart Schürstab, the Elder
1482 structural form [the joining of two houses into one] and chapel construction by Carl Schwerzer
1508-1518 owned by Adam Tetzel, councilor
1645-1791 owned the Fetzer Family [council consultants]
1943 the roof is destroyed
1997 reconstruction and restoration
Location. 49° 27.343′ N, 11° 4.583′ E. Marker is in Nuremberg, Bavaria. Marker is on Albrecht Dürer Platz just from Sebalder Platz, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Albrecht Dürer Platz 4, Nuremberg, Bavaria 90403, Germany.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Johann Phillip Palm (about 120 meters away, measured Leopold Einstein (about 150 meters away); Johann Neudörfer (about 180 meters away).
Also see . . .
1. Historisches Schürstabhaus - The Historic Schürstab Mansion. The Schürstab Mansion's webpage in German, with little history but with contact information for room rental or events. " Standing majestically over the St. Sebald church, it is considered one of the most important mansions in northern Bavaria from the Gothic period. Built in the years around 1270, it has had a long history. Its name derives from the Schürstab family that owned the house from 1328 to 1478." (Submitted on August 25, 2012.)
2. Schürstabhaus - on the Historic Mile. The Schürstabhaus is on Nuremburg's Historic Mile, and the page for this stopping point reads: Up to its roof-ridge, the house is an imposing seven storeys high (and at the east end, eight!). From 1328 to 1470 it was owned by the wealthy Schürstab family (who endowed the finest stained-glass window in St. Sebald’s newly built choir in 1380). Obviously composed of two earlier houses, the building did not acquire its present form until 1482. At that time it was owned by a merchant. Later owners were city councilor (and traitor!) Anton Tetzel and, in the 17th century, the Fetzer family. Following years of neglect, the roof burned out in 1943. The house, however, survived the war. Recently restored (1995-97), the historic Schürstabhaus is an architectural monument of the highest order (Hypokulturstiftung award, 1998). (Submitted on August 25, 2012.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 394 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.