Étretat in Seine-Maritime Département, Haute-Normandie, France — Upper Normandy (Atlantic Coast)
Où pendant la guerre 1914 - 1918
fonctionnèrent un hôpital britannique,
puis un hôpital américain,
où reposent pour toujours
549 combattants britanniques
de la première guerre mondiale,
où, le 2 septembre 1944,
arriva en libératrice
la 51e division de Highlanders
des armées du Général Eisenhower,
et où fut installé, en 1945,
le “Pall Mall Camp” américain,
a la Grande-Bretagne
et les États-Unis d’Amérique
son reconnaissance et son amitié.
Where, during the 1914 - 18 war
a British and then an American hospital
where for ever
rest 549 British soldiers
of the First Great War,
where, on September 2nd 1944
the men of the 51st Highland Division
attached to General Eisenhower’s armies
arrived as liberators,
and where in 1945
the American “Camp Pall Mall” was situated,
to Great Britain
and the United States of America
its gratitude and its friendship.
Location. 49° 42.474′ N, 0° Touch for map. Marker is above the main door of the large building in Place Maréchal Foch. Marker is in this post office area: Étretat, Haute-Normandie 76790, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Nungesser and Coli's 1927 Flight (approx. 0.4 kilometers away).
Regarding Étretat. After the Allied armies crossed the English Channel before dawn on D-day, June 6, 1944, and landed at Normandy beaches, their pursuit of the German forces led to the eventual freeing of France from Nazi occupation. Paris itself was liberated on August 25th, but many other cities and towns, even along the Normandy coast (as this marker shows), had to wait awhile longer.
Also see . . . The Cigarette Camps. Descriptions of the many U.S. Army camps established during World War II in northern France near Le Havre. This page includes a link for Camp Pall Mall at Étretat. (Submitted on August 30, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
Additional keywords. Etretat
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 30, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 473 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 30, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.