Ashland in Boyd County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Settled by 1799 by members of the Poage family of Virginia. Known as Poage's Landing until named in 1854 for Henry Clay's Lexington estate, by the owners, Ky. Iron, Coal and Manufacturing Company. It engaged M. T. Hilton to lay out a town, then auctioned lots. City incorporated by act of Ky. Legislature, Feb. 23, 1856.
Presented by the City of Ashland
Erected 1968 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1211.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 28.724′ N, 82° 38.241′ W. Marker is in Ashland, Kentucky, in Boyd County. Marker is at the intersection of Greenup Avenue and 17th Street, on the right when traveling east on Greenup Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is adjacent to Ashland City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1700 Greenup Avenue, Ashland KY 41105, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Putnam Stadium (approx. 1.7 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 2½ Ironton Tanks / Tanks Memorial Stadium (approx. 3.7 miles away in Ohio); Tanks Memorial Stadium Opening Day Nov. 25, 1926 (approx. 3.7 miles away in Ohio); Boyd County War Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Unger's Shoes (approx. 4.6 miles away in Ohio); The Hanging Rock Iron Region / The Blast Furnaces of Lawrence County (approx. 4.7 miles away in Ohio). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashland.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . History of Ashland, Kentucky. (Submitted on September 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 544 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.