Near Clear Spring in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
One of the four stockade forts erected in 1756 along the North Mount Road as supports for Fort Frederick in preventing the Indians from descending upon the inhabitants living in the Cumberland Valley.
Erected by State Roads Commission.
Location. 39° 39.224′ N, 78° 2.747′ W. Marker is near Clear Spring, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Historic National Road (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clear Spring MD 21722, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Three Eras of Transportation Side by Side (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Frederick (approx. 2.3 miles away); The National Road (approx. 2½ miles away); Big Pool Junction (approx. 2½ miles away); Millstone & Moffet Station (approx. 2.8 miles away); Gen. J. E. B. Stuart’s Cavalry (approx. 3.4 miles away); a different marker also named The National Road (approx. 3½ miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 3½ miles away).
More about this marker. The lack of paint on one side of this marker, and of only black paint on the other is curious, especially given the proximity
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 792 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 2, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 3. submitted on March 3, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.