Hurricane in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Heritage Home & Pioneer Corner
(Placed on the National Register of Historic Places – 1991)
This plain carpenters’ Victorian eclectic style home, with a cross-wing and stone foundation and cellar was the first permanent home built in Hurricane. During the first and second year of families settling in this valley, public gatherings such as socials, dances, church meetings, and the first Christmas Program were held here.
The first school for this new community was also held in this home. There were approximately 20 pupils, with one teacher. Each pupil had to supply his own chair and desk, which were mostly made of packing boxes. The home later served as the first Hotel, being known as the Bradshaw Hotel or “Traveler’s Home,” and also as a Boardinghouse for teachers.
The Bradshaw's were primarily farmers, like most of the early settlers. They became prominent citizens and business men of Southern Utah. As the boys and girls grew up they were very much involved with the economic survival of the family. They helped haul wood from the mountains, dry fruit, make molasses and sold-or more often-traded for flour, cheese and other commodities unavailable here.
A 50-gallon wooden barrel was kept under a tree by the backdoor to provide the family
The lot in back was well planted to a variety of fruit trees and berry vines. A well kept garden produced fresh vegetables and melons. There was also a corral and barn with milk cows, hogs, chickens, work horses, etc.
Ira E. served as a Mormon missionary to the Northern States during 1893 and 1894. He left a wife and five children behind so he could respond to his call from the Lord and traveled for two years without “purse or script” in the mission field; a great tribute to his religious zeal and faith.
He served as a Trustee on the Virgin City School Board for 20 years before moving his family to Hurricane. He was one of the eleven families moving here that first year, but while others were living in tents, granaries, and other temporary shelters, he began work on this house.
From 1901 to 1907 Ira E. served as President of the Hurricane Canal Company and supervised its completion. Without the life-giving water furnished by this canal, this desert valley could never have become the “Garden of Eden” that it is today.
The Bradshaws were a typical Mormon family known for their honesty, dependability, and hard work. They were never known to swear or curse. They never kept any record of their works nor wished for any honor, and yet
This Pioneer Corner is dedicated to honor them, along with all the other Pioneer families, who came with faith and tenacity, to lay the foundation of our beautiful city.
Ira E. Bradshaw was born 25 January 1857 and died 1 July 1934.
Both are buried in the Hurricane Cemetery.
Erected 1991 by the Hurricane Valley Pioneer Heritage Park Foundation.
Location. 37° 10.523′ N, 113° 17.278′ W. Marker is in Hurricane, Utah, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and East 100 South, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Hurricane UT 84737, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bradshaw House/Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Trails (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hurricane Canal (about 300 feet away); Hurricane Pioneers (about 300 feet away); Hurricane City (about 300 feet away); Survival in Utah’s Dixie (about 300 feet away); The Roads to Utah’s Dixie (about 300 feet away); Historic Kolob Mountain (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hurricane.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 278 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 11, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.