Near New Harmony in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The fort was finally abandoned in February 1862, following heavy storms that caused the walls to crumble and fall, the settlers founding New Harmony and Kanarraville. The wall was 300 feet square. Houses on east side were one story and wall 10 feet high; on west side two stories and wall 16 feet high. Kanarra and Harmony Creeks supplied water for irrigation.
Erected 1936 by Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and Members of Parowan Stake. (Marker Number 59.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association marker series.
Location. 37° 28.833′ N, 113° 14.593′ W. Marker is near New Harmony, Utah, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from 2900 East Street 0.2 miles south of Utah Route 144. Touch for map. Marker is south of the library. Park in library parking lot and walk through gate to old fort. Marker is in this post office area: New Harmony UT 84757, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of Military Training Camp Site ( approx. 3.1 miles away); New Harmony ( approx. 3.6 miles away); Kolob Canyons ( approx. 3.9 miles away); Collapsing Scenery ( approx. 3.9 miles away); Fort Kanarra ( approx. 5.1 miles away); South Rim of the Great Basin ( approx. 8 miles away); Snowfield Monument ( approx. 8.4 miles away); Hamilton Fort ( approx. 11.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Harmony.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 14, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.