Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Green - 1715

 
 
The Green - 1715 marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2006
1. The Green - 1715 marker
Inscription. Site of Morris County's two earliest court houses. The Green, purchased in 1816 from the Presbyterian Church, owned and continuously administered by the trustees of the Morristown Green.
 
Erected 1976 by National Register of Historic Places/New Jersey Register of Historic Places/Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission marker series.
 
Location. 40° 47.802′ N, 74° 28.89′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of W Park Place (County Highway 124) and Market Street, on the left when traveling south on W Park Place. Touch for map. Marker is located on the western end of the Morristown Green. Marker is in this post office area: Morristown NJ 07960, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Continental Store on the Green (a few steps from this marker); The Alexander Carmichael House (within shouting distance of this marker); Arnold’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Survey by Major Erskine of Morristown (within shouting distance
The Morristown Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2006
2. The Morristown Green
of this marker); Arnold Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); The Baptist Church on the Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Court House and Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The French are Coming (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Markers/Historic Preservation. Morris County Heritage Commission. (Submitted on August 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Places
 
Patriot Goodbye image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2006
3. Patriot Goodbye
This statue, located near The Green marker, depicts a Revolutionar War soldier taking leave of his family.
Looking West on the Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
4. Looking West on the Green
Photo looks west from the center of the Green, in the direction of the marker.
Looking East on the Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
5. Looking East on the Green
Photo looks east from the center of the Green, in the direction of the Presbyterian Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,156 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on March 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   4, 5. submitted on April 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement