Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Arnold Tavern

 
 
Arnold Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
1. Arnold Tavern Marker
Following his victory at the Battle of Princeton in January 1777, Gen. George Washington made his winter headquarters at this location.
Inscription. Site of Col. Jacob Arnold's Tavern. It was used as Washington's Headquarters January - May, 1777. Troops were in Lowantica Valley.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
 
Location. 40° 47.842′ N, 74° 28.905′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of North Park Place and West Park Place, on the right when traveling south on North Park Place. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morristown NJ 07960, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arnold’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Court House and Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Baptist Church on the Green (within shouting distance of this marker); The Green - 1715 (within shouting distance of this marker); Survey by Major Erskine of Morristown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The French are Coming (about 300 feet away); Continental Store on the Green (about 300 feet away); The Alexander Carmichael House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Arnold Tavern Site image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
2. Arnold Tavern Site
The site of Washington's 1777 winter headquarters is now occupied by various Morristown businesses.
Arnold Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin
3. Arnold Tavern
Site of Col. Jacob Arnold's tavern. It was used as Washington's Headquarters January - May 1777. Troops were in Lowantica Valley. Washington's "other" headquarters in Morristown. Site is on the north end of the Morristown Green.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,724 times since then and 71 times this year. Last updated on March 3, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3. submitted on February 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement