Flagstaff in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Ricket & Brooks Bldg.
In 1905 T.A. Rickel bought the property. F.E. Brooks bought a half interest from Rickel in 1910 and the pair added a slogan to The Office name, “A Resort for Gentlemen.”
In March 1911 Rickel and Brooks bought the lot to the south at 20 N. San Francisco Street, which also contained a wooden building. Rickel and Brooks removed both frame buildings and on July 17, 1911, broke ground for the building that is here today, which spans both lots. It is made of brick, with a tuff (native volcanic stone) facing.
The new Office was a success, but all Arizona saloons were shut down when the state adopted Prohibition effective January 15, 1915. Over the years since then the building has been home to a variety of businesses including cafes, dry cleaning establishments and clothing stores.
Many residents remember the north half as Etter’s Milk Depot from 1928 until 1945. In 1945 I.E. and Louise Bushey purchased it and ran Bushey’s Fountain Cafe here until 1955.
Erected 1996 by Shirley Westbrook, Sue Bushey Gregg, & Parker
Location. 35° 11.873′ N, 111° 38.858′ W. Marker is in Flagstaff, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is on North San Francisco Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 North San Francisco Street, Flagstaff AZ 86001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Verkamp Building ( a few steps from this marker); Babbitt Brothers Building ( within shouting distance of this marker); Donahue Building ( within shouting distance of this marker); Aubineau / Andreatos Building ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flagstaff's Founding ( about 300 feet away); "The Gandy Dancer" ( about 300 feet away); Coconino Chop House ( about 400 feet away); Weatherford Hotel ( about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flagstaff.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 420 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.