Belleville in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Early Belleville / Library Park
Finding a mill site on the Sugar River, founder John Frederick settled here in 1845. His mill prompted "Yankee" settlement and a village developed with a hotel/tavern, blacksmith, harness maker and general store.
In 1847 an octagon-shaped school was erected followed by the formation of Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian congregations.
In 1851 the village was platted and named for Frederick's native place, Belleville, Canada West. A post office was established in 1852. In the 1850s and 60s Swiss, Irish and French groups acquired adjacent farm lands.
The 70s and 80s brought new growth with a library, opera house and railroad. By 1900 a fire department and high school were part of the flourishing village.
Noted as public ground in the 1851 plat, this square once crossed by an Indian trail, became the site of many events. In 1887 a "tent city" was erected here for laborers working on the new railroad line.
Erected in 1894 the brick building was used as a village hall, library, firehouse, and jail. After 1900
In the 1980s the bandstand and fountain were rebuilt and the building's first floor refurbished as a meeting room/museum. In 1982 the park and building were placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location. 42° 51.535′ N, 89° 31.982′ W. Marker is in Belleville, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of South Park Street (State Highway 92) and East Pearl Street, on the right when traveling south on South Park Street. Touch for map. Located in Belleville Library Park. Marker is in this post office area: Belleville WI 53508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Raphael's Frenchtown Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Paoli (approx. 4.9 miles away); New Glarus (approx. 5.9 miles away); Herbert O. Kubly (approx. 6 miles away); Lake Harriet School (approx. 6.2 miles away); Primrose Lutheran Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); Swan Pond (approx. 7½ miles away); Illinois Central Depot / Fitchburg (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belleville.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2012, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 16, 2012, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 18, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.