Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cedar City in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Cedar City Tabernacle

 
 
Cedar City Tabernacle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
1. Cedar City Tabernacle Marker
Inscription. A tabernacle was erected in 1885 on the adjoining corner of Main and Center Streets and was demolished in the spring of 1932. In 1872 Bishop Christopher J. Arthur suggested that this Tabernacle be built to replace the Social Hall.
Mayhew Dalley drew the plans for a building 72 x 41-1/2 feet with a tower 110 feet high. Edward J. Ashton of Salt Lake City was engaged as architect and Bengt Nelson was appointed director. The excavation was dug in 1872, but because labor was needed on the St. George Temple, the work was postponed until 1877. The Tabernacle was built of local materials except for the windows. Lumber was cut in Deep Creek, the bricks were burned south of town, shingles were made, and plastering was done. The stone tablet inscribed "Holiness to the Lord" was placed in 1885.
The town clock in the tower was a gift from the city and ward. A ball and weather indicator topped the tower. Conference was held in the unplastered building in 1887. A gallery was added later. December 20, 1931, the U.S. Government approved the purchase of the ground for a post office. The last meeting was held in the historic Tabernacle in 1932 prior to its demolition. The Tabernacle was a community project and served the people well for forty-seven years.
 
Erected 1990 by Coal Creek Camp, Iron Mission
Cedar City Tabernacle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
2. Cedar City Tabernacle Marker
Camp & Aunt Margaret Camp – Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 452.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 37° 40.651′ N, 113° 3.653′ W. Marker is in Cedar City, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is on East Center Street 0.1 miles east of North Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cedar City UT 84720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ward Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Social Hall (about 400 feet away); Pioneer Stockman (about 600 feet away); Heroine of China (approx. mile away); Escalante Trail (approx. mile away); Cedar City Railroad Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Deseret Iron Works (approx. half a mile away); Pioneer Iron Works Blast Furnace (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar City.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Cedar City Tabernacle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
3. Cedar City Tabernacle Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement