Cedar City in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Social Hall
On January 6, 1861, a committee was appointed, composed of Samuel Leigh, John M. Higbee and Isaac C. Haight, who recommended building a social hall. With materials scarce and labor plentiful, the schoolhouse in the Old Fort was dismantled, brick by brick, and reassembled in the new location (Block 37 Lot 18) to become known as the "Social Hall." This one-story building had four windows on each side, a fireplace in the west end, and a door in the east end. It was set back from the street to where the center of the State Bank of Southern Utah parking lot is located.
The Social Hall was used for church, school, dances, dramatics, funerals, civic and social needs. School functions were transferred from the Social Hall in 1881 when the new school building was finished on the southeast corner of the block.
The tabernacle was completed in 1888 for religious purposes, but the
Erected 1988 by Iron Mission, Aunt Margaret and Coal Creek Camps – Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 446.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 37° 40.713′ N, 113° 3.604′ W. Marker is in Cedar City, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is on North 100 East 0.1 miles north of East Center Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cedar City UT 84720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ward Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Cedar City Tabernacle (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Stockman (about 600 feet away); Heroine of China (approx. 0.2 miles away); Escalante Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cedar City Railroad Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Deseret Iron Works (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pioneer Iron Works Blast Furnace (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar City.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.