Cedar City in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Cedar City Railroad Depot
Utah Historic Site
In addition to constructing the depot, the Union Pacific Railroad became fully involved in the tourist industry by purchasing hotels, buses, and building lodges. Tourist travel increased dramatically following completion of the railroad and depot – visitors to Zion National Park increased from 3,692 in 1920 to 55,297 in 1930. Automobile traffic gradually superseded rail travel to the point that the railroad eventually closed its line to Cedar City in 1959. The Cedar City Railroad Depot remains the only building that documents the important influence that tourism and the railroad had on the development of Cedar City in the first half of the twentieth century.
Erected 1993 by Division
Location. 37° 40.891′ N, 113° 3.738′ W. Marker is in Cedar City, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and East 200 North, on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northwest corner at the far south end of depot. Marker is in this post office area: Cedar City UT 84721, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Escalante Trail ( within shouting distance of this marker); Heroine of China ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Stockman ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Deseret Iron Works ( approx. ¼ mile away); The Social Hall ( approx. ¼ mile away); Pioneer Iron Works Blast Furnace ( approx. ¼ mile away); Ward Hall ( approx. ¼ mile away); Cedar City Tabernacle ( approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar City.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.