Parowan in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Southern Utah Expedition of 1849
Parley P Pratt
When the expedition reached Parowan, it was divided into two groups on Christmas Day 1849. Pratt took one party south to explore the regions around the Virgin River. The second group, under the direction of David Fullmer, established a temporary camp at Heap Spring. While the Parowan group waited for Pratt's return, they explored the canyons in the area for natural resources necessary for future settlement. Pratt returned on January 8, 1850.
Under Pratt's direction, a Liberty Pole was erected on the hill to the east of this site. A white flag with one star and the words, "Great Basin" was placed on the pole. A red banner with the caption, "Free Soil, Free Speech, Free Labor and Freedom to the Saint" was attached to the flag. After this heroic expedition, Pratt served several missions for his Church. He was murdered in Arkansas on May 13, 1856, at the age of fifty.
Location. 37° 50.179′ N, 112° 49.641′ W. Marker is in Parowan, Utah, in Iron County. Marker can be reached from South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in Parowan Heritage Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 South Main Street, Parowan UT 84761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of Southern Utah (here, next to this marker); Memorial to Horace and Hannah Leavitt Fish (a few steps from this marker); Southern Expedition, 1849-1850 (a few steps from this marker); Parley P. Pratt (within shouting distance of this marker); The Spanish Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Paulina Eliza Phelps Lyman (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William and Julia Lyman House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Public Works (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parowan.
Categories. • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 436 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.