Vischer Ferry in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Amity Reformed Church
Founded in 1802
Erected in 1888
Erected by Clifton Park Historic Preservation Commission.
Location. 42° 47.783′ N, 73° 49.584′ W. Marker is in Vischer Ferry, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Riverview Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 335 Riverview Road, Rexford NY 12148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lock 19 (approx. ¾ mile away); Best House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Erie Canal (approx. 1½ miles away); Whipple Iron Truss Bridge (approx. 1.6 miles away); Cast Iron Whipple Truss Bridge, 1869 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Clutes Dry Dock (approx. 2½ miles away); Shaker Church Family Barn (approx. 3.8 miles away); Albany Path Ska-Nek-Ta-De (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vischer Ferry.
Regarding Amity Reformed Church. Amity Reformed Church was established in 1802 by families of Dutch descent who settled along the northern shore of the Mohawk River just below present day Clifton Park, NY. Prior to this time, people had ferried across the river to worship
In April of 1802 the new congregation was accepted into the Dutch Reformed Church and by June of that year a place for worship was built. Due to being a stop on the famous Erie Canal the population grew and necessitated replacing the first church with a much larger one in 1871. This second church was destroyed by fire during the Christmas season of 1886. In 1888 the present church was constructed. The church is distinguished by its half circle seating configuration, wainscoted ceiling, stately chandeliers and stunning stained glass windows. It is an inspirational setting for worship. Above all the church is people, many generations of them, who have gathered here for worship and to serve God. This wonderful heritage continues on into our present day.
Also see . . . Amity Reformed Church. (Submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 285 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 2. submitted on June 6, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3, 4. submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.