Columbus in Platte County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell
St. Bernard Township, Nebraska
Henry Stuckstede B F Co
St. Louis, Mo 1902
In hon Sti Bernardi
pat ecclae donum me
ev ejus que familia
Weight: 2,145 lbs.
About 1873-1874 a few Catholic families began to settle in the vicinity of the present St. Bernard. Thus, we find John Dieter, John Melcher, Mathias Classen, Joseph Steibly, and a Mrs. Benz. The nearest Catholic Church in 1875 was St. Mary's in Stearns' or Grand Prairie, 4½ miles northwest of the present site of Humphrey.
Until the erection of a church at St. Bernard, the settlers had to attend service in a private home or at St. Mary's in Stearns' Prairie Township.
In 1878, the colonists commenced hauling lumber from Columbus, a distance of about 35 miles. Father Ambrose directed the building operations, Bro. Damian Bueschgens, O.F.M., helped in the construction and was assisted by William Duesman, John Heinrichs, Nick Thill, P. Beyer, Frank Gores (the latter from Columbus), and others.
The dedication of St. Bernard Church, School, and Sisters' residence, a combination building, erected at a cost of $6,000, took place November 21, 1878.
The bell was donated by the Jacob Weidner family and brought from Henry Stuckstede & Company,
This is the largest of the bells in the towers.
The church was closed in 1971.
Erected 1992 by Columbus Community Foundation, Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce, and Concerned Citizens and Organizations.
Location. 41° 25.369′ N, 97° 22.113′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Nebraska, in Platte County. Marker is on 33rd Avenue (U.S. 30/81) near 7th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Belltower is in Pawnee Park. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus NE 68601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell (here, next to this marker); Congregational Church Bell (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named St. Bernard Catholic Church Bell (here, next to this marker); Good Shepherd Lutheran Church Bell (here, next to this marker); North Branch, Oregon Trail (a few steps from this marker); United Methodist Church Bell St. Michael's Catholic Church Bell (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named United Methodist Church Bell (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . St. Bernard Catholic Church History. (Submitted on September 28, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Communications • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 28, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.