The Burgundy Cross was the Spanish military flag that flew here during most of the Spanish Colonial period. It was adopted in 1506 by Philip the Handsome, King of Castile, to honor his mother, Mary Duchess of Burgundy. At that time, Burgundy was a territory of Spain.
El National Park Service enarbola tres banderas en las fortificaciones del San Juan National Historic Site: el Aspa de Borgoña, la bandera del Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico y la bandera de Estados Unidos de América.
El Aspa de Borgoña era la bandera militar que se izaba aquí durante la era colonial española en que las fortificaciones estaban activas. Fue adoptada en 1506 por el rey de Castilla, Felipe I el Hermoso, en honor a su madre, María de Borgoña. En esa época Borgoña era un territorio español.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 18° 28.044′ N, 66° 6.672′ W. Marker is in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in San Juan Municipality. Marker is on Bulevar Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Juan PR 00901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. What About Water? (here, next to this marker); In Defense of San Juan (here, next to this marker); Firepower (here, next to this marker); The Heart of San Cristobal (here, next to this marker); National Historic Site (here, next to this marker); Noel Estrada (approx. ¼ mile away); Casa Natal de Don Ramón Power y Giralt (approx. 0.4 miles away); Francisco de Miranda (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Juan.
1. Errors in the U.S. flag shown on the marker.
Interestingly, the U.S. flag is not the official flag, with the stars turned from their standard orientation. The overall dimensions of the flag are not standard.
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 6, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.