Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsport in Warren County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Warren County Patriots

 
 
Warren County Patriots Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 8, 2012
1. Warren County Patriots Marker
Inscription.

This monument is dedicated to those
Patriots laid to rest in Warren County
Indiana whose Service and Sacrifice
helped form our Nation during the
American Revolution

( Row One )

Humphrey Beckett ▫ Richard Biddlecomb ▫ George Dixon ▫ Peter Dixon ▫ Henry High ▫ Jacob High

( Row Two )

John High ▫ David Nichols ▫ Thomas Pearson ▫ John Rhode ▫ David Wilkerson ▫ Others Known but to God

William Henry Harrison Chapter
Indiana Society Sons of the
American Revolution

July 2011


 
Erected 2011 by William Henry Harrison Chapter Indiana Society Sons of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 40° 17.27′ N, 87° 17.644′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Indiana, in Warren County. Marker is on North Monroe Street south of West 2nd Street (State Road 28), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at the West Entrance to the Warren County Courthouse in Williamsport, Indiana. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport IN 47993, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Wide View - - Warren County Patriots Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 8, 2012
2. Wide View - - Warren County Patriots Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Williamsport - Warren County (a few steps from this marker); Trail of Death (approx. 0.8 miles away); In Memory of Heroes 1861 - 1865 (approx. 2.2 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away); Attica & Covington Canal Skirmish (approx. 2.2 miles away); In Memory of (approx. 2.3 miles away); Italianate Style House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Attica’s Carnegie Library (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Long View - - Warren County Patriots Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 8, 2012
3. Long View - - Warren County Patriots Marker
Second Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 8, 2012
4. Second Cannon
This and the other gun at the site are Model 1841 6-pdr Field Guns. This type came into service just before the Mexican War, and saw service into the Civil War.
Muzzle View - - Second Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
5. Muzzle View - - Second Cannon
The muzzle markings visible are "J.W.R." and "259" indicating the gun was inspected by James Wolfe Ripley, and is registry number 259. That matches to a weapon cast by Ames Manufacturing, Boston, Mass. in 1846. It weighed 879 pounds when accepted for service.
Rear View - - Second Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
6. Rear View - - Second Cannon
The Model 1841 6-pdr was a very efficient weapon when introduced. In the Mexican War, the American guns, often lighter than their Mexican counterparts, were handier in action and thus gave the American artillerists an advantage.
Front View - - Cannon by Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
7. Front View - - Cannon by Marker
By the time of the American Civil War, the 6-pdr caliber was outranged by both larger smoothbores and rifled guns then entering service. Furthermore, the 12-pdr guns replacing it fired twice the projectile weight. As such, most 6-pdrs were relegated to ancillary duties away from the main armies by 1863.
Muzzle View - - Cannon by Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
8. Muzzle View - - Cannon by Marker
This gun bears the marks "JB" and "100." Such matches to a weapon cast by the Miles Greenwood foundry (often called the Eagle Foundry) in Cincinnati, Ohio. It weighed 873 pounds when inspected by a yet unidentified officer (initials J.B.). It was cast in 1862, long after the type had fell into disfavor. But was readily accepted by the Western states to arm their artillery batteries pending issues of newer guns.
Other View - - Warren County Patriots Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, October 8, 2012
9. Other View - - Warren County Patriots Marker
Public Library & Learning Center - Built 2007 image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2008
10. Public Library & Learning Center - Built 2007
Across Second Street, Excellent friendly help with Library needs.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on October 8, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.
Paid Advertisement