Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Rotunda

 
 
Rotunda Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, September 30, 2012
1. Rotunda Marker
Inscription. Built in 1913 as the first federally owned Post Office in Waukesha, it is one of the best remaining examples of Classic Revival Architecture in Waukesha. The structure was built on a historic triangle previously occupied by the First Methodist Church. The federal government purchased the property for $15,000 dollars in 1908 from First Methodist Church. The church was subsequently torn down and the new post office finished in 1913.

It served as a Post Office until 1961 when the Post Office moved to its present site at 300 E. Broadway. The semi-circular portico, supported by six fluted Doris columns, embraces half of the cylindrical lobby, which features a Corinthian colonnade and coffered dome with a stained glass skylight.

On April 22, 1963, it became Marine National Bank of Waukesha. In 1971 the First National Bank bought the building from the Marine National Bank. The First National Bank was subsequently acquired by Bank One.

Bank One sold the building to the Huelsman family in 1992. The building was used as an office building until 2001. In 2001 the Huelsman family substantially remodeled the building, restoring the interior to better reflect the original interior of the post office. At this time the Rotunda was converted to a banquet hall and has operated as such to the present.

The building
Rotunda Marker image. Click for full size.
By William H. Roth, August 3, 2013
2. Rotunda Marker
is on the national register of historic places.
 
Erected 2012 by Waukesha County Historical Society and Museum. (Marker Number 34-20.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
 
Location. 43° 0.66′ N, 88° 13.819′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broadway and Gasper Street, on the right when traveling east on West Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 235 W Broadway, Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Waukesha Civic Theatre (WCT) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Waukesha Freeman (about 400 feet away); American Legion Home (about 500 feet away); Cohn's Shoe Store (about 700 feet away); Waukesha City - Cutler Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courthouse Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. 0.2 miles away); Les Paul (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
 
Additional comments.
1. Additional History
The Rotunda building in Waukesha was built in 1913 by the federal government for
Rotunda building image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, September 30, 2012
3. Rotunda building
use as a Post Office. It was the first federal building in Waukesha and located at 235 W. Broadway.

A local architect, Oscar Wanderoth, was hired to design the new building. The structure was built using Bedford limestone, which has been used in many government buildings across the country, as well as in Washington, D.C. The style of the building is Classical Revival dominated by a semicircular portico featuring six fluted Doric columns. The dome is shallow and coffered, capped by a copper roof. In the interior, the lobby sports a colonnade of red marbled columns with gold Corinthian capitals. The interior of the rotunda is 35 feet. There is also a stained glass skylight. The post office occupied the building until 1963 when they moved to a new location on Broadway next to the YMCA.

When the post office moved, the building was bought by the Marine Bank to be used as a local branch. In 1971 the First National Bank bought the building. Subsequently, it was acquired by Bank One.

Bank One sold it to the Huelsman family in 1992. Joanne Huelsman, a state senator, used part of the building for her district office. In 2002 Bill Huelsman converted the interior into a banquet hall. Carpeting was removed revealing the original terrazzo floors. Walls were painted, chandeliers were restored, and marble columns were revitalized. The business name for this new facility
Rotunda building image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, September 30, 2012
4. Rotunda building
is the Rotunda. Up to 250 people can use this space at one time for weddings, business events, etc. The building is on the National Register of Historic places.
    — Submitted December 28, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.

 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Rotunda building inscription image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, September 30, 2012
5. Rotunda building inscription
<i>Post Office, Waukesha, Wis.</i> image. Click for full size.
By E.C.Kropp, circa 1925
6. Post Office, Waukesha, Wis.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 585 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 10, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.   2. submitted on August 15, 2013, by William H. Roth of Deltona, Florida.   3, 4, 5. submitted on October 10, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.   6. submitted on November 16, 2014. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photographs of the interior. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement