Near Dexter in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Delhi Bridge was one of many Pratt through truss iron bridges built to order by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, between 1876 and 1899 to span the Huron River. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. Once common in Michigan, few bridges of this type survived into the twenty-first century. Built to serve the thriving agricultural village of Delhi Mills, it replaced earlier wooden foot and wagon bridges that crossed the river at a traditional ford. In the 1870s Delhi Mills was home to two flouring mills, a saw and woolen mill, a plaster mill, a train depot, a grocery store and a school. As electricity supplanted water power in the early twentieth century, many mill towns fell into decline, including Delhi Mills.
On June 6, 1917, a powerful tornado swept through Washtenaw County, severely damaging Delhi Mills and the Delhi Bridge. The Washtenaw County Red Cross was created that summer to aid the victims of the tornado. Torn from its abutments, the bridge was tossed into the river below. According to local tradition, Edward Outwater and Eli Gallup used a team of horses to salvage the bridge. The bridge reopened the following year. The bridge was closed between 2005 and 2009 and then rehabilitated in response to the efforts of the East Delhi
Erected 2012 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2227.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 19.999′ N, 83° 48.568′ W. Marker is near Dexter, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on North Delhi Road south of West Huron River Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ann Arbor MI 48103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Webster United Church of Christ (approx. 2.1 miles away); St. Joseph Catholic Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Dexter Depot / Track Pans (approx. 3.8 miles away); Dexter Area Civil War Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); In memory of all Veterans (approx. 4½ miles away); Michigan Central Railroad Depot (approx. 4.7 miles away); Allen Creek Valley Shapes the Town (approx. 4.8 miles away); St. Thomas the Apostle Church (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dexter.
Regarding Delhi Bridge.
Length of Span: appoximately 110 feet
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 11, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.