Duanesburg in Schenectady County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Friends Meeting House
Erected 1807 Near Site
Of Original Log Structure
1st Preacher—Ezekiel Tripp
Society Organized About 1790
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 44.08′ N, 74° 11.195′ W. Marker is in Duanesburg, New York, in Schenectady County. Marker is on New York State Route 7, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is located in the hamlet of Quaker Street, in the Schenectady County Town of Duanesburg. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10226, Quaker Street NY 12141, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Duanesburg Reformed Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); William North (approx. 2.8 miles away); James Duane (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 2.9 Michael Righter (approx. 3 miles away); Christman Sanctuary (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named Christman Sanctuary (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duanesburg.
More about this marker. This historic marker is seen above back in place at the edge of Route 7 and in front of the meeting house, after receivng a fresh coat of paint. It had been down for some time after being knocked over by a snow plow last winter.
Regarding Friends Meeting House. The little village of Quaker Street, in the Schenectady County town of Duanesburg, is in one of the oldest settlements in this part of New York State. Two hundred years ago, in 1807, The Religious Society of Friends, whose members are commonly known as Quakers, built the current frame building to replace the previous building, a log structure.
The Quakers, after buying the land from the family of James Duane, began building the meeting house in 1807, probably began using
This well-preserved two story building has an attic and slate roof, rests on a field stone foundation with no cellar. It was originally built with no porch and had a dividing- folding partition, through the center of the building, which was raised and lowered by means of pulleys and ropes, because the men and women usually entered and sat on opposite sides of the room. The partitions were removed in 1885. An adjoining carriage shed and burial ground are still on the property.
“The architecture tells you everything you need to know about the Quakers... Itís white and gray, very simple and plain, with no embellishment or accoutrements, and that speaks volumes about the Quaker faith. They believe in complete directness, honesty, plainness, with no guile or personality. Youíre not supposed to draw attention to yourself.” —Art Willis, Quaker and Duanesburg Town Historian
Also see . . .
New York State Museum Historic Markers. A county by county listing of the Historic markers in New York State (Submitted on December 8, 2007, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record. The Friends Meeting House in Quaker Street is on file in the Library of Congress Historical American Building Survey. (Submitted on December 8, 2007, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Quaker Street Friends Meeting House Duane Duanesburg
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2007, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,594 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on March 8, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2007, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4. submitted on April 5, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5. submitted on December 8, 2007, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 6. submitted on August 7, 2009, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.