Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Clarke Library Building
The next year, a group of citizens organized the Marietta Library Association, but lacked a permanent location and public funding. Miss Clarke developed a plan to merge the two libraries and encouraged her many friends from New England, including Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes, to contribute money to erect a new brick building at the corner of Church and Lemon Streets, where the c. 1845 William Root house then stood.
The Root house was moved to Lemon Street behind its original location. On October 26, 1893, the Sarah Freeman Clarke Library, modeled after the British Museum reading room, formally opened to the public with 4,000 volumes, 2,000 which were donated by Ms. Clarke.
In 1938, an addition to the rear was completed and the north wing was added in 1945. The Clarke Library added two branches, Fort Hill and Marietta Hill prior to merging into the Cobb County Library System in 1959.
Erected 2012 by the City of marietta Historic Preservation Commission and the Marietta City Council.
Location. 33° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 163 Church Street, Marietta GA 30060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Root House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Zion Heritage Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kennesaw House (approx. 0.2 miles away); UDC And Kennesaw House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Kennesaw House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cobb County (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1916 Glover Machine Works Locomotive (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherokee Treaty (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 346 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.