Hartsville in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hartsville Graded School / Mt. Pisgah Nursery School
The first public school for the black children of Hartsville and vicinity operated on this site from about 1900 to 1921. It was renamed Darlington County Training School in 1918. A new school was built on 6th St. south of this site in 1921. Rev. Henry H. Butler (1887 ~ 1948) was principal at both sites for a combined 37 years. The 1921 school was renamed Butler School in Butlerís honor in 1939.
Mt. Pisgah Nursery School
Mt. Pisgah Presbyterian Church grew out of a Sunday school started on this site by Rev. T.J. James in 1922. The church was organized that same year, and a new church building was erected nearby in 1926. Rev. James also founded Mt. Pisgah Nursery School, which operated in the old graded school here for many years. Rev. Jamesís family later donated this property to the city for Pride Park, established in 1986.
Erected 2012 by The South Carolina African American Heritage Commission. (Marker Number 16-70.)
Location. 34° 21.986′ N, 80° 4.336′ W. Marker is in Hartsville, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is on S 6th Street near Marion Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hartsville SC 29550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Hartsville Oil Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hartsville Veterans Monument (approx. half a mile away); Butler School (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); John L. Hart / John Hart House (#1) (approx. 0.7 miles away); David Robert Coker 1870-1938 (approx. 0.8 miles away); James Lide Coker (approx. 0.8 miles away); Welsh Neck High School / Coker College (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartsville.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 28, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.