Laurel in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mount Pleasant Methodist Church
Despite the skepticism of some, the church continued to grow and prosper. One of the first camp meetings in the country was conducted here in 1805. Over the years, many successful meetings and revivals were held, often drawing hundreds from distant locations to worship in the shade of the stately oaks that stood here. The church was repaired and remodeled in 1824, and again in 1842. The deterioration of the old building and growth of the congregation resulted in an effort to build a new church. The present structure was completed in 1863, and formally renamed Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church.
Erected 2001 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 38° 31.323′ N, 75° 37.994′ W. Marker is in Laurel, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Mount Pleasant Road (County Road 493) near Sharptown Road (State Route 24), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Laurel DE 19956, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Portsville United Methodist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bethel Shipyard (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sailor's Bethel Methodist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Laurel (approx. 4 miles away); Hope Lodge No. 4 (approx. 4 miles away); Christ United Methodist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Centenary United Methodist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Wading Place (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laurel.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.