Halifax in Halifax County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Montfort Archaeological Museum
Montfort family members resided in the house until 1785. Afterwards, many other prominent families lived here. The house burned sometime between 1862 and 1868, while being used as rental property. It was eventually leveled and the foundations covered with dirt. This area was used as a cotton field until 1916, when another residence was built on the property. The State of North Carolina purchased the property in 1972, as part of the growing historic site.
In 1973, archaeologists testing the area discovered the original structure. After ten years of excavations, the present shell was erected, which follows the basic shape of the exposed foundations. Because ther are no drawings or plans of the Montfort home, the building has features similar to others of the era. This unique archaeological museum was dedicated
Erected by The Historical Halifax Restoration Association, Inc.
Location. 36° 19.867′ N, 77° 35.24′ W. Marker is in Halifax, North Carolina, in Halifax County. Marker is at the intersection of St Andrews Street and King Street, on the left when traveling west on St Andrews Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax NC 27839, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Halifax Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of First Courthouse (about 300 feet away); The Free Church of Halifax (about 400 feet away); Escape! (about 400 feet away); Colonial Punishment (about 500 feet away); The Market Green (about 500 feet away); Halifax Runaway Ads (about 500 feet away); Halifax Colonial Jails (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a portrait of "Joseph Monttfort, 1724-1776."
On the upper right is a sketch labeled "Above: A section of the C.J. Southier map from 1769 showing the Montfort House." and "Left: The Montfort House was located on lot 52, as shown in a section of A Draught of Halifax, a 1758 plat of the town. A courthouse and jail were built to the left of lot 53 a year later." The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
On the lower right are photos with the captions, "A view from the west side of the site after excavation. The brick foundation can be seen in the foreground and the well at the top right." and "The museum shell under construction, December 1983."
Also see . . . Historic Halifax. North Carolina Historic Sites (Submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.