Marfa in Presidio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Presidio County Courthouse
Built 1886 in this county's third seat of justice. First county seat was Fort Leaton, on the Rio Grande; second, Fort Davis.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4117.)
Location. 30° 18.795′ N, 104° 1.32′ W. Marker is in Marfa, Texas, in Presidio County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Lincoln Street (State Highway 17) and North Highland Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is just to the right of the entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Marfa TX 79843, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Paisano Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hunter Gymnasium (approx. ¼ mile away); Humphris-Humphreys House (approx. ¼ mile away); Blackwell School (approx. half a mile away); Fort D.A. Russell (approx. Building 98, Fort D. A. Russell (approx. 0.9 miles away); Presidio (approx. one mile away); Presidio County (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marfa.
Also see . . .
1. Presidio County Courthouse.
The 1886 Courthouse is the only one they've ever had. The county seat was moved from Fort Davis in 1885. Alfred Giles, famed English-born architect designed this Second Empire stone and brick building. (Submitted on March 20, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Presidio County Courthouse.
San Antonio architect Alfred Giles beat out eighteen other competitors to submit the winning bid on designing the 1886 courthouse at a cost of $60,000. Giles modeled the Second Empire style building after the El Paso courthouse he also designed in 1886. When the structure was completed, the county held a celebratory grand ball on January 1, 1887. (Submitted on March 20, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Early Picture of Presidio County Courthouse.
Photograph of the Presidio County courthouse in the middle of an open desert landscape. There is a small wooden building on the left of the courthouse and a stone building to the (Submitted on March 20, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 3, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 20, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 22, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 10. submitted on March 26, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.