Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Presidio in Presidio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Presidio del Norte

 
 
Presidio del Norte Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 22, 2012
1. Presidio del Norte Marker
Inscription. Proximate site of Presidio del Norte de la Junta established by Captain Alonzo Rubin de Celis in 1759-1760. Name of post retained in part by the present town and county. In this vicinity the missions of San Antonio de los Puliques, San Francisco de Los Julimes, Santa Maria la Redonda, San Pedro Alcantara, El Apostol Santiago, San Cristobal, were first established in 1683-1684 by Don Juan Dominguez de Mendoza and Padre Fray Nicolas Lopez O. F. M. Maintained by Franciscan missionaries for the Christianizing and the civilizing of the Apache, Natages, Faraones, Puliques, Julimes, Jumanos, Zumas and other Indian tribes. Administered and controlled in 1746 by the custodia of New Mexico.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4118.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 29° 32.568′ N, 104° 19.542′ W. Marker is near Presidio, Texas, in Presidio County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 170 3.5 miles east of U.S. 67, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at Fort Leaton State Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Presidio TX 79845, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Presidio del Norte Marker (in the center) image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, October 22, 2012
2. Presidio del Norte Marker (in the center)
At least 4 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Ben Leaton (here, next to this marker); Mission del Apostol Santiago (here, next to this marker); El Fortin de San Jose (a few steps from this marker); Captain Henry Skillman (approx. 3.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Fort Leaton State Historic Site. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (Submitted on November 6, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Forts, Castles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement