Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paris, Île-de-France, France
 

Saint-Pierre de Montmartre

Histoire de Paris

 
 
Saint-Pierre de Montmartre Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 29, 2012
1. Saint-Pierre de Montmartre Marker
Inscription. Dès le milieu du Ve siècle s’élèva ici, sur l’emplacement d’un temple de Mars, une première église mérovingienne. Cédée en ruines au roi Louis VI en 1133, elle est reconstruite pour l’abbaye de bénédictines fondée par la reine Adélaide de Savoie, et solennellement consacrée par le pape Eugèna III le lundi de Pâques 1147. Il s’agit de l’un des plus anciens édifices religieux de Paris, dont l’essential date du XIIe siècle, avec quelques remplois gallo-romains. Fermée au culte sous la Révolution, elle recoit en 1794, au-dessus du Choeur des Dames désaffecté, une tour destinée à supporter le télégraphe optique de Chappe, en service jusqu’en 1844. Très dégradée au XIXe siècle, elle échappe de justesse à la démolition, et connaît une restauration radicale à partir de 1900.

(Translated by Google Translate with modifications:)
Saint-Pierre de Montmartre
Dating from the mid-fifth century arose here, on the site of a temple of Mars, the first Merovingian church. Sold, in ruins, to Louis VI in 1133, it was rebuilt for the Benedictine abbey founded by Queen Adelaide of Savoy, and solemnly consecrated by Pope III Eugena III Easter Monday 1147. This is one of the oldest religious buildings in Paris, which dates essentially from the twelfth century, with some reused Gallo-Roman. Closed to worship during the Revolution, it received in

Saint-Pierre de Montmartre Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 29, 2012
2. Saint-Pierre de Montmartre Marker
1794, above the disused Ladies Choir, a tower designed to support the Chappe optical telegraph in service until 1844. In very poor condition in the nineteenth century, it narrowly escaped demolition, and has had a radical restoration from 1900.
 
Location. 48° 53.203′ N, 2° 20.484′ E. Marker is in Paris, Île-de-France. Marker is at the intersection of Rue du Mont Cenis and Rue Norvins on Rue du Mont Cenis. Touch for map. This marker is located in the Montmartre district of Paris. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Rue du Mont Cenis, Paris, Île-de-France 75018, France.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. La basilique du Sacré-Cœur (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); La maison de Rose de Rosimond (about 120 meters away); Clos Montmartre (about 210 meters away); Le Lapin Agile (about 240 meters away); Le Bateau-Lavoir (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Square Louise-Michel (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Eglise Saint-Jean-l’Evangéliste (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Le Moulin de la Galette (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Saint-Pierre de Montmartre image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 29, 2012
3. Saint-Pierre de Montmartre
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement