Lynch and Walker Flouring Mill
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
In 1857 George Lynch and George Walker, both of Milwaukee, constructed a flouring mill west of the millpond named Lake Marion. It was powered first by an iron waterwheel, sixteen feet in diameter, and later by smaller water turbines. The mill manufactured flour and offered custom milling.
In 1865 William Thompson bought the mill and expanded the operation into a three-story building with 'six-run-of-stone' employing twenty men. Edward Sanderson, a Milwaukee miller, made further improvements in 1876 and increased the capacity to 'eight-run-of-stone.' A group of local businessmen purchased the mill and, in 1885, installed a dynamo to generate electricity for lighting the downtown business district. Between 1888 and 1892 the mill also provided pressurized water to downtown mains for fire protection.
On January 1, 1900, the mill burned, possibly from incendiary origin. Henry Kirch purchased the ruins and rebuilt, using the remnant walls of the 1857 structure. His son, Nicholas, and later his son-in-law, Guy Dunlap, operated the mill until 1946. Then Harold Rochon, a son-in-law of Dunlap, took over. In all, the
After a flood destroyed the Lake Marion dam in March 1950, the use of water turbines was discontinued and the mill was converted to electric motor operation. In 1995 a restoration effort was completed and the mill's interior was remodeled for use as a restaurant, bakery, and gift shop.
[Photo captions, from top, read]
Lynch and Walker Mill - about 1876
Lynch and Walker Mill - about 1905
Plat of Mazomanie - 1873
Erected by United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 43° 10.49′ N, 89° 47.539′ W. Marker is in Mazomanie, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from Cramer Street north of East High Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 Cramer Street, Mazomanie WI 53560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Train Wreck of 1906 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Turntable, The Engine House, The Water Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Crescent Street Factories, Mazomanie Blacksmiths, Coal Buildings The Railroad in Mazomanie (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Flag on the Bluff (about 400 feet away); John F. Appleby (about 500 feet away); Mazomanie (about 600 feet away); Mazomanie Electric Power Plant (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mazomanie.
Also see . . .
1. Brief History. The Old Feed Mill Restaurant (Submitted on December 3, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
2. Mazomanie Downtown National Register Historic District Info. (Submitted on October 30, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 287 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 30, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.