Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Washington County Courthouse

 
 
Washington County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, February 23, 2008
1. Washington County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. This is Washington County's third courthouse. When the county was established in 1776, the first courthouse, a combination building that served also as a market house, was built in the middle of the town square, one block east of here. It proved too small to house the government and too big and obstacle in the square. The county's affairs were moved to a new courthouse, built on the site of the present building 1818-22. That building burned in December 1871. The cornerstone of the present building was laid on October 9th, 1872. The design was by H. A. and J. P. Simms of Philadelphia and the construction was by Robert C. Thornburg. Just over a year later, on January 2nd, 1874, the County Commissioners accepted the completed courthouse and held their first meeting there. The Italianate style architecture of the building is unusual for this part of Maryland. An annex, attached in the rear was added in 1963.
 
Location. 39° 38.574′ N, 77° 43.349′ W. Marker is in Hagerstown, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on West Washington Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 95 West Washington Street, Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Washington County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, February 23, 2008
2. Washington County Courthouse
Marker is to the right of the door.
marker. For God and Country (a few steps from this marker); Ransom of Hagerstown (a few steps from this marker); Crossroads of History (within shouting distance of this marker); Bench Mark "A" (within shouting distance of this marker); A City Divided (within shouting distance of this marker); John Brown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Ransom of Hagerstown (about 400 feet away); Hagerstonians In The Civil War (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsPolitics
 
Washington County Court House image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer
3. Washington County Court House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,150 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 9, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   3. submitted on July 30, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.
Paid Advertisement