Palmetto in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Willis Pentecost Menefee
Father of the Town
—1814 – June 24, 1855 —
Major Menefee donated his land for businesses, schools, parks and the Palmetto Methodist Church and gave all land necessary for the Atlanta and LaGrange Railroad.
Because of Major Menefee this spirit of kindness and generosity still prevails in Palmetto.
Location. 33° 31.033′ N, 84° 40.167′ W. Marker is in Palmetto, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Georgia Route 29) and Fayetteville Road, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. The marker is located in a small park adjacent to the old Palmetto Depot, with a Confederate Monument, Georgia Historical Commission Marker, a W.P.A. marker, and a pair of cannon. Marker is in this post office area: Palmetto GA 30268, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Monument (a few steps from this marker); Palmetto (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Army of Tennessee (within shouting distance of this marker); Ramah Baptist Church Palmer Family Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Old Campbell County (approx. 6.2 miles away); Birthplace of a Confederate Hero (approx. 8.2 miles away); Shadnor Baptist Church (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmetto.
Regarding Willis Pentecost Menefee. There is no evidence of a grave near the marker.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 10, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.