Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Harris County Courthouse of 1910
The present structure, which was built in 1909-10, served as the fifth Harris County Courthouse at this location. Designed by Charles Erwin Barglebaugh, an associate in the prominent Dallas architectural firm of Lang and Witchell, it features classical revival styling. Outstanding details include the domed roof, ornate central projections, or risalits, with Corinthian columns, and elaborate ornamentation of terra cotta, limestone, and masonry. Building materials include pink Texas granite and light brown St. Louis brick. During construction of the Courthouse, county offices were housed in a nearby theater.
Shortly after a new courthouse was built east of the square in 1952, this structure was remodeled for use as the Harris County Civil Courts building.
Today the Harris County Courthouse of 1910 serves as a dramatic example of civic architecture and as a symbol of Houston's dynamic growth in the early part of the twentieth century.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10679.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 301 Fannin Street, Houston TX 77002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Harris County 1910 Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Pillot Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Harris County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building (about 400 feet away); First White House of the Republic of Texas (about 500 feet away); Old Market Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Houston Cotton Exchange and Board of Trade (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Kennedy Bakery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Regarding Harris County Courthouse of 1910. This marker was replaced by a new one named Harris County 1910 Courthouse (see nearby markers).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 31, 2011. 2. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.