Lagro in Wabash County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church
Congregation founded 1836, serving Irish who immigrated to area to work on construction of Wabash and Erie Canal, 1834-1837. Many Irish bought land and stayed as permanent residents using their religious and cultural interests to build Lagro, originally platted 1834, into a thriving trade center.
Church dedicated first building 1838; used for activities until razed in 1960s. This brick structure, built 1870-1873, designed in Victorian Gothic Style; original bell still in use. Brick made in Huntington and Lagro. Features include hand-carved altars and statues, stained glass windows, and oak and walnut curved stairway. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1999.
Erected 2000 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Eugene and Anne Driscoll Family. (Marker Number 85.2000.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 40° 50.182′ N, 85° 43.806′ W. Marker is in Lagro, Indiana, in Wabash County. Marker is at the intersection of Main St and Harrison St, on the right when traveling east on Main St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lagro IN 46941, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Kerr Lock (approx. ¼ mile away); The Wabash River (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hanging Rock (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Wabash River and the Big Four Cut (approx. 5.2 miles away); Kin-Com-A-Ong Spring (approx. 5.2 miles away); Cook's Cabin (approx. 5.2 miles away); Treaty of 1826 Meeting Camp (approx. 5.2 miles away); Quarters of James B. Ray (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lagro.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.