Near Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Rural School
West of Pecos River
—(240 feet south) —
Pruett sold home, 1883, to Fort Davis Commandant B. H. Grierson, and founded "Lone Cottonwood" Ranch 4 miles north. School was closed after he moved. In 1912 Pruett sold "Cottonwood" to H. L. Kokernot; now several Kokernot ranches use it as headquarters.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10477.)
Location. 30° 31.2′ N, 103° 46.135′ W. Marker is near Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker is on State Highway 118 11.5 miles south of State Highway 17, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Manuel Musquiz (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away); St. Joseph Catholic Church Jeff Davis County (approx. 8.8 miles away); Union Mercantile (approx. 8.8 miles away); Hotel Limpia (approx. 8.8 miles away); Confederate President Jefferson Davis (approx. 8.9 miles away); Jeff Davis County Jail (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Davis.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on November 12, 2016, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.