Douglasville in Douglas County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This gift of land was deeded in old Spencerian style script and recorded among the first in Douglas County (April 9, 1874), D. W. Price Recording Clerk and John G. Maxwell, N.P., signing witness.
The tract became the site of several court houses – first a framed one, then the towered traditional brick edifice eventually destroyed by fire, and now upon the same spot the present modern Douglas County Court House.
The two Vansant brothers Rueben and Young, with their wives now rest in the private family cemetery just north of the railroad on West Strickland Street.
Location. 33° 45′ N, 84° 45.05′ W. Marker is in Douglasville, Georgia, in Douglas Touch for map. The marker stands on the lawn of the old (1956) Douglas County Courthouse, now the Parks and Recreation Department. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6754 West Broad Street, Douglasville GA 30134, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Douglas County (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clarkdale Historic District (approx. 7.9 miles away); Coats & Clark Thread Mill (approx. 7.9 miles away); Clarkdale Mill Village Historic District (approx. 8.1 miles away); Site of the Campbell County Court House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Sweet Water Town Site (approx. 8.4 miles away); Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglasville.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.