Near Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Fort Inge
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4793.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 10.766′ N, 99° 45.923′ W. Marker is near Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is on County Road 375 half a mile south of Pearsall Road (Farm to Market Road 140), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reading Wood Black (approx. 2.4 miles away); Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A. (approx. 2.4 miles away); Early Texas Wagon Yards (approx. 2.4 miles away); Uvalde County Courthouse (approx. 2½ miles away); Uvalde County Kincaid Hotel (approx. 2½ miles away); Grand Opera House (approx. 2½ miles away); Capt. William Benson (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
More about this marker. CR 375 turns to gravel and you will come to a gate with signage about access to the fort. If the gate is locked it is only a few hundred yards walk to the site. A very quiet and serene spot with a picnic table and excellent new interpretive signage about the fort's buildings and history. A $2 donation is requested by the County Historical Commission who operates the site.
Also see . . . Fort Inge. Wikipedia (Submitted on November 27, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 584 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on November 21, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 8, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.