Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fayetteville in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Zapp Building

 
 
Zapp Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, May 1, 2011
1. Zapp Building Marker
Inscription. German native Hugo Zapp established his mercantile business in Fayetteville in 1865. In 1900, after a fire had burned his wooden store at this site, Zapp had this 2-story brick building constructed. Intended to be the finest structure in the city, the Romanesque revival building features decorative brickwork in a checkerboard pattern. In 1915 another merchant, F.C. Knippel, bought the store, and it was operated by his family for more than fifty years.

 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5940.)
 
Location. 29° 54.258′ N, 96° 40.6′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of West Fayette Street and North Washington Street, on the right when traveling west on West Fayette Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 W Fayette St, Fayetteville TX 78940, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Svrcek Garage (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Svrcek Building (within shouting distance of this marker); James J. Ross
Zapp Building image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, August 20, 2011
2. Zapp Building
(approx. 4.7 miles away); Breeding Family Cemetery / First School in Fayette County (approx. 5.4 miles away); Oldenburg (approx. 7.3 miles away); Rutersville (approx. 7.9 miles away); Asa Hill of Rutersville (approx. 7.9 miles away); Henniger Family Cemetery (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement