Hillsboro in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Hillsboro
The Baptist Church of Hillsboro, later the First Baptist Church of Hillsboro, was organized in 1874 and fully established in 1875. Charter members were A. M. Isaacs, Nancy and Henry Procise, Fannie and the Rev. P. G. Booth, Julia Johnson, Alabama Ponder and Julia Reavis. The congregation's establishment was aided by Baptist churches in Peoria, Towash and Union (later Hubbard). The minutes of the 1879 meeting of the Towash Baptist Association reflect that the Baptist Church of Hillsboro reported 18 members that year.
The Hillsboro congregation's first facility, a frame structure erected for $1,400, was razed in 1905 and part of the materials were used in the construction of a new brick edifice nearby. The church grew steadily in the 20th century. In 1950 an educational building was constructed at a cost of $135,000. A new sanctuary was
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12074.)
Location. 32° 0.666′ N, 97° 7.567′ W. Marker is in Hillsboro, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is on North Pleasant Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located between East Elm Street and East Franklin Street. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsboro TX 76645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central Christian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old G. D. Tarlton House (about 500 feet away); Abbott House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hillsboro Junior College (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sims-Womack House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hill County Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Hill County (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsboro.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.