Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Camp Fannin, Texas
Encompassing over 150,000 acres of land, the main post was located immediately north and west of this site on 2,000 acres of land purchased from local landowners. An additional 13,000 acres was leased from area landowners and returned to them at the end of the war.
On April 17, 1948, the U.S. Government deeded 600 acres of land to the State of Texas on which the 1,000 bed station Hospital was located, for the express purpose of opening a tuberculosis sanatorium. The land is now occupied by the University of Texas Health Center at Tyler. The placement of the Veterans Memorial on this site is most appropriate, as the hospital is the last remaining major installation of the camp.
The memorial is a permanent and visible remembrance in honor of all veterans from five branches of service that were active during World War II. It is dedicated to all trainees of Camp Fannin and especially those who gave their
Camp Fannin Association and The University of Texas Health Center at Tyler appreciate the support of all those who have helped make this memorial a reality.
The Camp Fannin Association Ladies Auxiliary
Location. 32° 25.504′ N, 95° 12.567′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on University Drive / Clinic Boulevard near U.S. 271, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located at the University of Texas Health Center .3 miles north of US 271,State Road 155. Marker is in this post office area: Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Land - Our Heritage (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Fannin (approx. 0.9 miles away); Camp Fannin Internment Camp (approx. 0.9 miles away); Nicholas Wren 1807-1859 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Harris Creek Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Scouts of Texas Army (approx. 2.9 miles away); Shamburger Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Pine Springs Baptist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association - Camp Fannin,. (Submitted on December 12, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 640 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 11, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.