Leipers Fork in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Bank of Leiper's Fork / Hillsboro Methodist Church
Bank of Leiper's Fork
The Bank of Leiper's Fork was organized in 1911 with a capital stock of $10,000. Bank officials included President Bennett Hunter, Vice President P.O. Hassell and Cashier W.L. Pinkerton. Board members in 1932 included M.A. Meacham, J.C. Green, J.W. Sullivan, John Locke, H.L. Green, H.M. Cotton, G.A. Gore, and W.H. Bizwell. The bank closed on November 26, 1932 due to unprofitable returns, without loss to depositors or stockholders. The brick bank building burned in 1992 previously housing the cabinet shop of Ben Wilkes, stores owned by Gus Carl, J.T. Kelley and Carl McMillan and service stations operated by Fulton Stutts, Fred Conner, Herbert Furlough, Raymond Earl Howell, Albert Lee Ford, George “Buster” Pewitt and Ricky Binkley.
Hillsboro United Methodist Church
In 1910 the congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church South of Leiper's Fork purchased a lot for the sum of $500. Over the next year, the current brick sanctuary, featuring a bell tower and front gable, was constructed. In 1939, the name changed to Hillsboro Methodist Church with the merger of the northern and southern Methodists. The current name dates from 1968 when the Methodists and United Brethren merged. Though electricity was added in 1942, the building
Erected 2005 by Williamson County Historical Society.
Location. 35° 53.74′ N, 86° 59.87′ W. Marker is in Leipers Fork, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Hillsboro Road (Tennessee Route 46) and Old State Highway 96 W, on the right when traveling west on Old Hillsboro Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U.S.D. 1812 (approx. 3.7 miles away); Tennessee Valley Divide (approx. 5.8 miles away); Burwood (approx. 5.8 miles away); Abram Maury (approx. 6.2 miles away); Samuel Winstead (1778-1851) (approx. 6.7 miles away); Freeman's Battery, Forrest's Artillery (approx. 6.7 miles away); 3" Ordinance Gun (approx. 6.7 miles away); Mississippi (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 367 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.