Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Corsicana in 1860-1872

 
 
Corsicana in 1860-1872 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
1. Corsicana in 1860-1872 Marker
Inscription. A center of patriotism especially committed to the Southern cause. After the Nov. 1860 presidential election, citizens lowered the Stars and Stripes and ran up the Texas flag on the Courthouse. Early in 1861 influential men beat drums on the Square to recruit soldiers for the Confederacy. Some 450 Navarro County men enlisted. These included two officers who made outstanding records, Cols. Roger Q. Mills and Clinton M. Winkler. In the Courthouse, county commissioners appropriated funds for arms and ammunition and for support of soldiers' families. In 1864, civilians -- including old men, women and children -- helped stock a Confederate Quartermaster Depot which was located in a store building on this corner. After the Confederate surrender in 1865, Federal troops under Lt. A. R. Chaffee camped on this corner to enforce peace terms. One civilian resisting the troops was John Wesley Hardin, then only 16, and not yet a celebrated gunman. But he notched his pistol in a fight with soldiers 10 miles south of town. The Texas Democratic Convention met in Corsicana in 1872, after Federal troops withdrew, and made plans whereby military despotism was replaced by civilian control of state government by bona fide Texans.
 
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission and Corley Funeral Home. (Marker Number
Corsicana in 1860-1872 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
2. Corsicana in 1860-1872 Marker
11605.)
 
Location. 32° 5.708′ N, 96° 28.164′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on North 13th Street near West 2nd Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in front of Corley Funeral Home. Marker is at or near this postal address: 418 North 13th Street, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Call To Arms (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Ingles Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Navarro County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jose Antonio Navarro (about 300 feet away); Westminster Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Site of The First Courthouse (about 700 feet away); First Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Corsicana (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Corsicana in 1860-1872 Marker, on North 13th Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
3. Corsicana in 1860-1872 Marker, on North 13th Street
A Confederate Quartermaster Depot was located in a store building on this corner.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement