Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort Sackville in 1779
Fort Sackville was constructed by the British during the Revolutionary War on the site now occupied by the Clark Memorial. Early in that conflict, the Redcoats dominated the frontier from posts north of the Ohio River by sending their Indian allies against the American settlers in Kentucky. As part of the bold strategy to end these attacks, George Rogers Clark and his small force of frontiersmen captured Fort Sackville following an epic mid-winter march through the flooded Wabash country in February 1779.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 38° 40.706′ N, 87° 32.141′ W. Marker is in Vincennes, Indiana, in Knox County. Touch for map. Marker is near the George Rogers Clark National Historical Park visitor center at 401 South 2nd Street. Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The George Rogers Clark Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Inscription on the Big Bell of the Old Cathedral (about 300 feet away); Site of Fort Sackville (about 400 feet away); U.S.S. Vincennes (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Cathedral “French and Indian” Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Ferry Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vincennes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Patriotism of Charles Gratiot (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vincennes.
Also see . . . Fort Sackville. (Submitted on December 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.