Calexico in Imperial County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Calexico Carnegie Library
The original master plan designed by the architectural firm of Allison & Allison called for this building to be part of a larger "Intellectual Park" that was to include the library, schools, churches, and civic buildings. The library, designed in the mission revival style, served as the city's public library from 1919 to 1986.
When threatened with demolition in 1993, preservationist and the citizens of Calexico united to save this building. In doing so, they reaffirmed the historic importance of the Carnegie Library and its significance for future generations.
Erected 2007 by the City of Calexico, Imperial County Board of Supervisor, The Calexico Carnegie Technology Center and The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, John P Squibob Chapter #1853.
Marker series. Carnegie Libraries, and the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 32° 40.181′ N, 115° 29.601′ W. Marker is in Calexico, California, in Imperial County. Marker is at the intersection of Heber Avenue and Fifth Street, on the right when traveling north on Heber Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on the southeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Calexico CA 92231, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Salvation (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel De Anza (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); United States Inspection Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camacho's Place and Café (approx. 7.4 miles away); Women's 10,000 Club (approx. 9.2 miles away); Imperial Valley Press (approx. 9˝ miles away); Site of Rancho El Tecolote (approx. 9.9 miles away); Harold Bell Wright (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calexico.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 429 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 23, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.