The 100 Acre Tract
The Heart of the Village of Rochester
City Hall Historic District:
Four buildings arranged in a 19th century civic complex are the 1. Old Rochester City Hall (Irving Place)(1874-1875), 2. Monroe County Courthouse (1894-1895) 3. Rochester Free Academy (1872-1873) 4. St. Luke's Episcopal Church (1824). The City Hall and Free Academy buildings were designed by Andrew Jackson Warner. The Monroe County Courthouse was designed by his son, J. Foster Warner. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
1. Irving Place
Old City Hall at Irving Place was designed by architect Andrew Jackson Warner. The Erie Canal ran alongside the building until its last season in 1919. The subway ran in the old canal bed while cars traveled on the road deck above it. In 1978 City government moved to the former Federal Building on Church Street.
Designed by architect Merwin Austin. The cornerstone was laid in June 1850. The majority of the building was constructed of painted and sanded brick with Onandoga limestone composing the foundation, steps and pavement of the portico. A dome, topped by the statue of Justice completed the beautiful new facility.
3. Rochester Free Academy Building
In 1873, Andrew Jackson Warner, architect of the Powers Building, designed this High Victorian red brick building with Neo-Greek decorative motifs, a blue limestone foundation and a slate mansard roof. It is the fourth educational building on this site, deeded by Colonel Nathaniel Rochester.
4. St. Luke's Church (left)
Built in 1824, this Episcopal Church represents the transition form 18th century Colonial or Georgian styles to Gothic Revival. Colonel Nathaniel Rochester attended services and was Warden here.
5. Ebenezer Watts Building (left)
This Greek Revival House was probably designed in 1827 by Capt. Daniel Loomis for Ebenezer Watts, Rochester's first copper and tin smith. It is the oldest City building still standing on its original site.
6. Central Church of Christ (right)
Designed in 1871 by noted 19th century architect Andrew Jackson Warner, this modified Gothic Revival church incorporates Tiffany glass windows.
Erected by City of Rochester, NY - The Community Foundation.
Location. 43° 9.258′ N, 77° 36.825′ W. Marker is in Rochester, New York, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broad Street and Fitzhugh Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rochester NY 14614, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Broad Street (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer School (within shouting distance of this marker); County of Monroe (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Site in Journalism (about 800 feet away); Have honor for Nathaniel Rochester (about 800 feet away); Rochester: Center of Freedom (about 800 feet away); Jonathan Child (about 800 feet away); Post House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rochester.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 336 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 23, 2012, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.